The jack fruit is truly a unique fruit not only in terms of its prickly looks, size and weight but also its taste and texture, and therefore it is considered to be an exotic fruit. Botanically it is known as artocarpus heterophyllus. The jackfruit is seasonally available in the summers.
Besides eating jackfruit in its ripe, fresh form, many people cook the raw jackfruit as a vegetable, use it in curries and pickles too. Even the seeds of the jackfruit are eaten in its cooked form. Here are some health benefits of this delicious exotic fruit, bet you didn’t know about:
– Jackfruit is known to be a good source of vitamin C and anti-oxidants that help strengthening of the immune system and enhancing the functioning of the white blood cells in the body.
– Being a good source of potassium, jackfruit is good for regulating blood pressure and thus, reducing one’s risk of getting strokes and heart diseases. Potassium helps to maintain the electrolyte balance in the body.
– Due to the high fibre content present in jackfruit, it is beneficial in reducing constipation and aiding digestion. The fibre content of jackfruit is said to do away with the carcinogenic chemicals in the colon.
– Besides vitamin C, phytonutrients like saponins, isoflavones and lignans present in jackfruit is said to slow down degeneration of cells in the body due to formation of free radicals that can cause cancer.
– To maintain healthy skin and vision, vitamin A present and anti-oxidants present in jackfruit are beneficial.
– Natural sugars like sucrose, fructose present in jackfruit, make it a good source for energy and makes it easily digestible as well.
– Jackfruit also contains other minerals like manganese, iron, vitamin B6, niacin, folic acid, etc. whose presence in small quantities is required for the optimum functioning of the body.
– The seeds of the jackfruit are quite nutritious and a good source of protein.