Source : vyasamadhwa.org
Yajurveda Madwa Sampradaaya Sandyaavandane
The motivation for Sandhayavandam is Shri Hari preeti and Shri Hari Prernaya.
Sandhya vandanam – means a prayer to Surya Mandala madhya Sri Laxmi NarayanaSandhyavandam is a daily ritual to be done 3 times a day, during sunrise, noon and sunset.
If done with love and dedication, it probably the only prayer that needs to be said and can give all types of results. The Surya Mandala madhya Sri Laxmi Narayana is called Savitur. There are many instances in the shastra where Surya Mandala madhya Sri Laxmi Narayana is invoked for example
a. Aditya Hridayam
b. Akshaya Patre for Yudishtira during vanvas
Giving argya to surya and doing Gayatri Japa with the above context gives all the results as described above and many more. Surya gives health, wealth, fame, etc when given argya regularly.
If a dwija does not do Sandhyavandane all other Sadhane is considered ineffective. It is the hall ticket to the exam, you can’t enter the exam hall without hall ticket irrespective of how much you have read at home.
Why is it called Sandhyavandane ?
Sandhi kala bhagavata roopa ge vandane [Night-Morning Morning-Noon Evening-Night]
Vandane – vadi abhavadane stutya – stuti (with words) + namaskara (physical)
Why only during three times ?
It’s not practical to pray 24*7 therefore at least these 3 times
Why only these 3 times ?
Ramayana – Sandhyakale tu rakshamsi duradarsha tu bhavanthi
Evil is very active during these times. Therefore we need protection during these times. During morning; evil spirits don’t let us get up in the form of laziness. Anything that induces laziness and avidya is evil force. Divine force always propels us forward, makes us knowledgable, makes us respectable and ever active. Since we cannot be happy on our own, we need help to be happy. Sri Hari is eternally independent and never helpless.
Narayana is the only indepent GOD ( sarva tantra swatantra) ; hence we pray to him to protect us. Sandhyavandane is the prescribed form of prayer and full of veda mantras. Every day the block keeps increasing and stops us from doing dharma karyas; to stop this block from increasing and spreading everyday it is essential to do Sandhyavandane.
Basic requirements for Sandhyavandane
1. Timing – Has to performed at the correct time 3 times a day ( before sunrise i.e. while stars are visible, before noon and before sunset )
2. Mantras – Has to be performed with the correct vedic mantras
3. Anusandhana – Has to be performed with the target in mind; i.e. Sri Hari sarvothamma has to be kept in mind throughout the Sandhyavandane
4. Artha – Mantras have to be understood; atleast a basic understanding of the mantras have to be kept in mind. The more and deeper the understanding the better
5. Place – Has to be in a holy spot or in the pooja room – Bhagavad Gita 6.11 – Shucho deshe prathishthaya sthiramanasamatmanah
Anyone arguing that Sandhyavandane has not been effective has to check if the above points have been covered. If anyone does atleast a 1000 gayatris each day for a month; there will definetly be some effect.
Angas of Sandhyavandane.
No wet clothes ( 11 times wet cloth beaten against the wind is considered dry ).
GopiChanda dharana after snana is must. It’s not required in afternoon and evening except after bath.
1. Mudradharana – Applying Gopichanda and mudra dharana
For Ladies only tilaka and gada and narayana mudras
2. Achamana – Drinking a small quantity of water (equal to size of urad dal – hence the name “uddharane”)
Drinking water and Narayana Nama smarane Purifies the internal organs, necessary for Veda mantras pronounciation; a grain of urad dal should be submersed and gokarana with the palm. Remembering the 24 names of Shri Hari in the process of creation The visualization for each name is cross referenced with Keshava Nama from Kanaka Dasa. There is also a visulazation in TantraSara for each name which is Lord Vishnu with four arms, holding the conch, the discus, the mace and the lotus. The positions of the four vary according to the roopa.
( Sip water three times chanting each of the following )
Om keshavaya svaha [ Shreesha Keshava – Dosha rashi nasha, Katru Keshava – Satya patisuvodhu, Adi Keshava – Mukti koduva ]
Om naarayana svaha [ Naarayana – Maran samaydalli Hari Smaraane; Ajamila ]
Om maadavaya svaha [ Madhava – Yamana bhada bidisu through Gyana] ( Wash hand with this )
Om govindaya namaha [ Govinda – Bahavada Bandha Bidisu ]
Om vishvanenamaha [ Vishnu – Srishti ollege kashta bidisu ]
Om madhusudhanayanamaha [ Madhusudana – Hridaya dalli hudagisaya ]
Om trivikramayanamaha [Trivikrama – Yamana bhada bidisu by destroying papa]
Om vaamanayanamaha [Vamana – Ninna Nama premadinda paadiso ]
Om sridharayanamaha [Shridhara – hrudayalli sadan maado ]
Om hrishikeshayanamaha [ Hrishikesha – do not neglect me, thinking I’m interested in mundane pleasures ]
Om padmanabhayanamaha [Padmanabha – Geddu Kopa, Buddhi Toru ]
Om damodarayanamaha [ Damodara – Ninna Nama jivha dalli niliso ]
Om sankarshanayamaha [ Sankarashana – Nanna kinkara aagi maadkolo ]
Om vaasudevayanamaha [ Vaasudeva – Please ensure no hurt comes to me, as I’m your servant no matter what birth I take ]
Om pradhyumnayanamaha [ Pradyumane – Hridaya Tiddi Shudda maadu ]
Om anirudhayanamaha [ Annirudhane – Yennage mukti palisu ]
Om purushothamayanamaha [ Purushottamma – Ninna charandalli iddu ]
Om adhokshajayanamaha [ Adokshaja – Beda maadi noddadiro ]
Om narasimhayanamaha [ Narasimhana – Baara haakiruve ninage ]
Om achuttayanamaha [ Achyuta – Sanchita paapa, kinchita peeda kallisu ]
Om janardanayanamaha [ Janardhana – heena buddhi bidisu ]
Om upendrayanamaha [ Upendra – Krupe maadi kshamiso ]
Om hareyanamaha [ Shri Hare – Nanna ninna bhakatara jyotege iddu ]
Om srikrishnayanamaha [ Shri Krishna – Innu huttisibeda, huttisidake nammana palisu ]
3. Pranayama – Takes in pure air and lets out impure air
Gets us the control of the entire body – Dasha Pranava Gayatri Mantra pranayamaihi dehe doshan – Rechaka ( exhaling) 1, Puraka ( Drawing in air ) 2 and Kumbaka (retaining air in) 4 – Proportion for Pranayama 1:2:4
Draw in from left and exhale from right
* Achamane and Pranayama are repeated many times, not mentioned here for brevity.
4. Sankalpa – Recollecting the date, time and place in which the activity is being performed. Develops the willpower required for a successful mindset
Recalling place and time – Nasik to Rameshwara costal region is Parshurama Kshetra else South India is Ramakshetra
Panchanga – Tithi, Yoga , Vara, Nakshatra & karana
Vishnu Prernaya and Vishnu Preethyartham
5. Marjana – Sprinkling of water on one’s body
Completes the bathing ritual with the mantras (Mantra snana) – Jal abhimani devata – Vayu
6. Jalabhimantrana – Drinking the sacred water
Purification of the body – This mantra varies slightly for morning, afternoon and evening. It asks for forgiveness for the paapa for the previous time period. For example morning Sandhyavandane asks for forgiveness for the paapa ( if any ) during night time.
Ex – If we stamp on someones leg unintentionally and immediately say sorry; it is forgiven. If not it becomes a reason for revenge even if it is not intentional.
7. Punarmarjana – Sprinkling of water on one’s body, Re-cleaning the body
8. Paapa Purusha visarjana – draw in water from right and exhale from the left; this will destroy the paapapurusha in our body
9. Suryarghya – Offering the sacred water to Lord Narayana residing in the sun god. Solar energy is recognized as having enormous powers in purification, ripening of fruits, medicinal powers in curing skin and other related diseases. 3 arghyas and 1 parischiita argya ( within 24 minutes of Sandhya kaala )
Surya needs to rise and set. 30 crore mandheha rakshasas try to stop the sun.
1 agrya – destorys their weapons
2 argya – destroys their chariot
3 argya – destroys the rakshasas
Without this argya, we lose the oppurtunity to perform seva and it becomes a paapa. Surya arghya ensures good health.
Gayathryat anajalim dhyadvat dhyatva surya gatam Harihi
For Ladies “Bharati Ramana MukhyaPranantargata Surya Antargata Bharati Ramana MukhyaPranantargata Sri LakshmiNarayana idam argyam idam argyam idam argyam”
10. Bhoototchatanam – Drive away bad elements from disturbing our concentration. All unwanted thoughts during Japa are stopped by Rudra Devaru ( Mano niymaka )
11. Asana – Requesting Bhoomi devi for seating during Japa ( Visualizing that Vishnu Kurma, Vayu Kurma, Sesha Devaru and Bhoomi on Seshas hood )
12. Guru Namaskara – 12 gurus ; Sri Gurubhyo nama, Parama Gurubhyo nama, SriMadAnandTeertha Bhagavadpadacharya Namaha, Sri VedaVyasa Namaha, Sri Bharatye namaha, Sri Saraswathye Namaha, Sri Vayuve Namaha, Sri Brahmane Namahe, Sri MahaLakshmaye Namaha, Sri Narayana Namaha
12a. Karan Nyasa – Placing Bhagvad roopas Using Fingers
12b. Anagan Nyasa – Placing Bhagvad roopas all over the body
12c. Digbandhana – seals all directions and stops all distractions
14. 3 Pranayamas
15 . Dhyana Shlokas –
Dhyana murthy of gayathri is Vishnu [Badri Narayana] [ surya antargata Narayana ] with two hands resting on knees seated on a throne with Bhu and Sri in padmasana ] shankh chkra gada padma . surrounding the murthy is ashta narayana murthy of , vishwa taijas , pragnya turiya , atma , antaratma , gnyanatma and paramatma . lord has kaustubh mani , har , kirit , kundal [ makar] radiant as 1000 crores of sun , there is srivasta chinha on his chest. you must do sandhyavandane with this dhyana
16. Japa – Repetition of the Gayatri Mantra 10/100 /1000 or more no. of times and reciting the Narayana mantra three times the no. of times one has recited the Gayatri mantra Sharpens the mind, leads to clear and sharp thinking, memory and leads to personal upliftment.
bhuhu – poorna
bhuvaha – Lakshmi(bhu) pati (vaha- superior )
suvaha – Ananda + Gynana
Tat – sarvatra vyapta
Savitu – creator of all
varenyam – worshipped by all
bharga devasya – A God, carrying all the world
dheemahi – Pray to
dheeyo – yonaha – prachodeyat – May such a God, please inspire me in the right direction
Sri Krishna tells in Bhagavad Gita that he is the giver of intellect.
Japa is repetition ( prachodeyate prachodeyat… )
17 . Narayana Ashtakshara Mantra – This is done 3 * ( no of Gayatri Mantra ) for Siddhi
This is mentioned in Sadachara Smruti of Srimadacharya
18. Dignamskara – Prayer to the presiding deities of all the directions
To get protection and success in all the 10 directions
Mata-Pita Namaskara – All janmas
19. Durga Mantra & Vishnu Mantras
Jatadevasya (Sri Parshurama, Sri Durga Devi and Agni devaru stotra)…
tacharon yavarani ( release the happiness )
Bheesham stavaraja stotra – Namo Brahmanaya Devaya GoBrahmanaya Hitayacha Jagaddritaya Krishnaya Govindaya Namaha
Akashaat patitam toyam
Durga stotra – khalu durga devyo
Vasudeva roopa to obtain moksha – Vasanath Vasudevasyo
Sri Vishnu Sahasranama
Benefits of Abhivadanam – Dhirga Ayu, Vidya, Balam, Yash ( benefits of Namaskara )
20. Pravara with Gotra ( Ex. Yajushakaya Dhyaya, Srivatsa Gotra)
21. Krishnarpana – Offering the actions at the feet of Lord Krishna. This completes the activity and gives it all the relevance. An action which is not offered on the feet of the Lord is useless and meaning less
22. Namatraya Japa – For any faults or shortcomings – Achyuta , Ananta and Govinda names are chanted three times –This can be followed for all worship. To reiterate everything is for Shri Hari Preeti and is possible because of Shri Hari Prerna as stated each time in the sankalpa.
Benefits of Sandhyavandanam
vishayo dheerga sandhyatvat dheergam aayu avapyanuhu – Manu Smriti Pragyam yasha keerthitaha, brahma varchas. Ashwattamas Narayana Astra & Brahma Sheera Astra is both Gayatri Mantra Similarly any aashriwada given fructifies for those with Gayatri Mantra siddhi.
Gayatri Mantra as saara of Vedas
Aa -> Aa + Uu + Ma -> bhuhu + bhuvaha + Suvaha ( matrikas ) -> Tat savitur varenyam + bargo devasya dheemahi + dheeyo yonaha prachodeyat
Aum -> Aa + Uu + Ma + nada + bindu + ghosha + shanta + atishanta -> 51 letter Aa – Ksha -> 3 vargas Purusha Sukta -> Rig Veda from 1st Varga, Yajur Veda from 2nd Varga and Saam Veda from 3rd Varga
Hence Gayatri Mantra is packed with Ananta Vedas